Judge Charles Wachob of the Placer County Superior Court has approved the settlement negotiated by CCEC with Placer County over the Tahoe Basin Area Plan, addressing long-term growth and development on the West Shore and North Shore of Lake Tahoe.
CCEC objected to the county's conclusion that nothing further could be done to address deteriorating traffic congestion and impacts on the environment and quality of life.
Under the settlement the Placer County Department of Public Works will retain Nelson Nygaard of San Francisco, a highly-regarded transportation planning firm with expertise in sustainable pedestrian, bike and transit-oriented solutions.
The scope of work for Nelson Nygaard is attached. The steps under the Settlement Agreement are--
- DPW to retain Nelson Nygaard
- DPW to provide information needed to Nelson Nygaard
- First public workshop to be held to explain traffic demand management solutions and take community input
- Nelson Nygaard to prepare report discussing the full-range of potentially feasible congestion policies
- Nelson Nygaard to discuss potential cost-savings with more sustainable transportation modes
- County to invite comments by TART and TRPA on draft report
- Second public workshop held to explain options and to take public input
- DPW to submit report and recommendations to Board of Supervisors for approval
- DPW to implement the approved strategies.
Work at the county is expected to kick off mid-February. Public workshop dates have not been scheduled, but the public will be notified.
Transportation Master Plan, Boulder, CO